6 slices thick-cut bacon. Break in half to fry until crispy.
4 cloves garlic – chop finely
2 medium onions – chop finely
1 red bell pepper, chopped (I like big pieces)
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
Salt and pepper (I suggest fresh pepper from your grinder)
1 pound 85 percent lean ground beef
1 pound ground pork
1 cup beer (or chicken broth – the beer will cook off)
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drain and rinse them
1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drain and rinse them
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, with juice
To top it.
2. In the skillet you just fried the bacon in add the garlic, onions, bell peppers, chili powder, cumin, chipotle chili powder, oregano, and smoked paprika then season with salt and pepper.
3. Cook this mix until the vegetables are tender and seasonings are aromatic. This is a great part of the process. Do you smell what thekinner is cooking?
4. Add the beef to the veggies and seasonings and break it up with a spatula. Once the beef is starting to brown add the pork. Break it up like the beef, and make sure all the meat gets browned (about 5 minutes).
5. In your crock-pot Stir in the beer (non-alc or chicken broth is fine) and beans, then add the crushed and diced tomatoes.
6. Now it’s time to add the contents of your browned beef, pork sausage, veggies and spices from the skillet to the crock pot mix.
Makes enough for 6 people.
Me and 2 other guys…